7 Upbeat Poems to Celebrate Poem in Your Pocket Day (with printable PDFs)
Check out these seven upbeat and whimsical poems from ASP authors; print one out for Poem in Your Pocket Day!
What is Poem in Your Pocket Day?
Poem in Your Pocket Day was created by the Office of the Mayor of New York City in 2002 in partnership with the New York Department of Cultural Affairs and Education. Its goal is to reintroduce poetry, a traditionally performative art, into social situations and normal everyday life. As such, PIYPD marks the end of National Poetry Month, bringing the lessons of the month out into the rest of the year.
Poets.org teaches us how to participate (in the age of Covid-19):
"It's easy to participate in Poem in Your Pocket Day from a safe distance. Here are some ideas of how you might get involved:
- Select a poem and share it on social media using the hashtag #PocketPoem.
- Print a poem and draw an image from the poem in the white space, or make an origami swan.
- Record a video of yourself reading a poem, then share it on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, or another social media platform you use.
- Email a poem to your friends, family, neighbors, or local government leaders.
- Schedule a video chat and read a poem to your loved ones.
- Add a poem to your email footer.
- Read a poem out loud from your porch, window, backyard or outdoor space."
Here are SEVEN awesome poems from Alan Squire Publishing poets you can print and share on PIYPD!
Announcing the publication of Other Voices, Other Lives: A Grace Cavalieri Collection, October 1, 2017
Announcing the publication of Other Voices, Other Lives: A Grace Cavalieri Collection, October 1, 2017 Other Voices, Other Lives is a selection of poems, plays, and interviews drawn from over forty years of work by one of America’s most beloved and influential women of letters. The author of 23 books of poetry and 26 produced […]
The Kenyon Review Calls Liz Hazen’s Chaos Theories “DAZZLING!” Elizabeth Hazen’s dazzling first book of poems, Chaos Theories, reminds us of the long history of poets who take on science as their subject mattter. Indeed, the main impetus for Greek and Roman poets like Hesiod and Lucretius was nothing less than to reveal how the […]
Washington Post, Wednesday, May 20th, 2015 Richard Peabody Collection Is A Buffet Of Legendary Editor’s Work, by Michael Lindgren PEABODY DELIVERS! A romantic poet of breathtaking tenderness. A keen writer of farce and a master of satire. A political activist whose fierce advocacy manifests itself in allegory. A pop-culture explorer. Richard Peabody is all these and more, as […]