7 Upbeat Poems to Celebrate Poem in Your Pocket Day (with printable PDFs)
Check out these seven upbeat and whimsical poems from ASP authors; print one out for Poem in Your Pocket Day!
What is Poem in Your Pocket Day?
Poem in Your Pocket Day was created by the Office of the Mayor of New York City in 2002 in partnership with the New York Department of Cultural Affairs and Education. Its goal is to reintroduce poetry, a traditionally performative art, into social situations and normal everyday life. As such, PIYPD marks the end of National Poetry Month, bringing the lessons of the month out into the rest of the year.
Poets.org teaches us how to participate (in the age of Covid-19):
"It's easy to participate in Poem in Your Pocket Day from a safe distance. Here are some ideas of how you might get involved:
- Select a poem and share it on social media using the hashtag #PocketPoem.
- Print a poem and draw an image from the poem in the white space, or make an origami swan.
- Record a video of yourself reading a poem, then share it on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, or another social media platform you use.
- Email a poem to your friends, family, neighbors, or local government leaders.
- Schedule a video chat and read a poem to your loved ones.
- Add a poem to your email footer.
- Read a poem out loud from your porch, window, backyard or outdoor space."
Here are SEVEN awesome poems from Alan Squire Publishing poets you can print and share on PIYPD!
ASP’s in-house literary journal nominates nine authors for the Best of the Net 2022
The American book review magazine and cultural gatekeeper Kirkus Reviews raves about David Downie’s new thriller, Roman Roulette, calling it “a wonderfully detailed treat” all while praising it as not just a remarkable thriller but a loving tour of Rome and Italian culture.
In their newest edition, Innisfree Poetry Journal, takes a deep dive into the work and career of Grace Cavalieri. The article features thirteen poems by the Maryland Poetry Laureate including many featured in her Legacy Book, Other Voices, Other Lives.